Sunday, May 13, 2007

Side trip







Today, I signed on to a small tour and headed out to the countryside. I was part of a congenial group composed mostly of Malaysians, along with a Danish couple and a couple from Chicago. The two-hour trip to our first destination, Hoa Lu, was a great opportunity to see Vietnam's single-family building craze. Families are building homes with a very small footprint, because land is expensive, but the houses go up three and four stories. They are built of bricks covered with plaster or cement, and the front facades are very brightly painted. Sometimes, these fancy new homes have a very simple, tin-roofed shop attached to the front of them. On the side of the road, we saw large rice paddies, beautiful produce gardens, coconut, banana and pineapple trees, fish ponds, and occasional cattle and water buffaloes. Each small farm village seemed to have a burial ground as well, some with elaborate monuments.
Hoa Lu, the first capital of Vietnam, is nestled in the mountains. All that is left is two small temples.
Tam Coc, the second destination on our tour, has much more to recommend it. This is an area of limestone mountains and caves, and tourists take a serene boat ride on a river amidst this beauty. Some of the rowers use their feet, and, when the riders are clearly not Vietnamese, all the rowers take advantage of their captive audience to peddle embroidered goods. More about that when I have a chance to tell you about this experience in person!
The rest of our group arrived today; tomorrow morning, we officially assemble as a delegation and head off for a day in Halong Bay, one of Vietnam's best known scenic spots.

2 comments:

Bunkie Miller said...

Martha --
The houses appear perfect for our City lots. Maybe you should bring back the plans for our "City House Catalog"!

Your trip sounds wonderful and the photographs are fantastic. I like hearing about the culture as well as the scenery. Look forward to your Power Point upon your return (along with your China presentation).

Unknown said...

I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM Mr Benjamin Lee .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Mr Benjamin after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then I set out to seek for funds online where I lost $3,670 that I borrowed from friends which I was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about Mr Benjamin Lee helping people with an loan online in which this email was stated (247officedept@gmail.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convinced because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme  at a very low interest rate of 2%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today I and my kids are so happy and fulfilled. You can as well contact them through email: (247officedept@gmail.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victims of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.